Tuesday, October 27, 2009

i'll take movies that scared the ever lovin' shit out of me for 1,000 alex...

it's halloween week so i thought we should discuss some scary shit. i have a love/hate relationship with scary movies. in that i love them and i hate them. they can be a great let down or (if they are good or hit some kind of personal nerve) shake you to the core. or if you're me turn you into a hypochondriac-obsessed-with-the-devil-afraid-to-do-gymnastics-for-fear-of-floating-off-the-ground fun loving eleven year old!!!! let's talk about that for a moment...the movie of which i refer is 'the exorcist'. i was 11 (same age as linda blair's character) and very impressionable. i actually sat down with my parents in the living room to watch this movie. in their (parents) defense they did tell me that this was too scary for me. but me, being the stubborn gal that i am decided that i could handle it. everything started off innocent enough...
regan goes to the doctor cuz things just ain't right..doctor can find nothing wrong...(umm...cuz she's possessed by the devil!!!!)...

then this shit starts happening...the ole backwards crab walk down the stairs...

and this....
WHAT. THE. FUCK?!?!?!?!?! i mean that is an image that you'd be hard pressed to forget.
let's just say that at this point i was in my room immersed in paper dolls signing..tra la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! although my thoughts were on this.....
and this...wondering when in the fuck was this going to happen to me? i was tormented for YEARS by this movie. truly. i lived in fear for the better part of 3 years that i was possessed by the devil. i have since seen it many times as a sort of rite of passage. i also paid a visit to the actual stairs in washington dc that they used in the movie. you know the stairs that father karras falls down? yeah..those. it was healing.


moving on...
another movie that scared the shit out of me as a youngster was this....
very well done. very well acted and well directed. i believe these are crucial elements to a successful scary movie.
i mean, THIS scene???
it fucked with me..hard. i couldn't watch a movie with john hurt in it for years. or linda blair for that matter, i mean let's face it linda blair didn't go on to a very successful career because she couldn't act. it was because NO ONE COULD GET THOSE FUCKING IMAGES OF HER OUT OF THEIR HEADS!!!!!
moving on to another 70's era brainmelter:
was there anyone out there after this that didn't look sideways at the ocean and say....hmmmmm...maybe i won't go for a swim today? or a lake? or a pool? or even put your bare ass on a toilet without fear of a shark swimming up through it??!! changed my view on such things FOR-EV-ER! i was convinced sharks could manage JUST FINE without saltwater.


so those 3 are the ones from the MFAMB formative years that stick out the hardest with shook me to the core status.
onto the adult years...now let it be known that i have seen quite a few scary movies...i am somewhat of an aficionado, but i also know that scary to me might not be scary to you and vice versa. for example my husband says he was really fucked up from 'when a stranger calls' (the original with carol kane not the remake with camilla belle-that movie sucked. if only for the fact that we all knew HE WAS IN THE DAMN HOUSE ALREADY!!) not so to me. it just didn't get me like the others. now there was 'the shining'...super scary i know, but it wasn't core shaking to me. also, 'the omen', 'halloween' (my brother was pretty fucked up by this one) and countless others that were really, truly scary. and they deserve an honorable mention for sure but the ones i speak of here are responsible for fear that lasted well outside the few hours that i endured watching them.
have any of you ever seen 'wolf creek'?
this is one of those movies that not too many people have ever heard of. i hadn't. we watched it one night and were pleasantly surprised. (although do you say "pleasantly" when referring to a movie that makes you shit your pants?) there are no monsters, no supernatural anything. just some crazy austrailian outback hillbilly motherfucker. this guy:
i called my mom (another fan of the scary movie) an told her to rent it. she did. she called me in a fuckyoufortellingmeaboutthis tone and told me she had to turn it off halfway through b/c the suspense was physically hurting her. she's right...it does. it physically hurts to watch this movie.
i highly recommend this one, unless you have a weak heart.
moving on to what might be the creepiest, scariest, most innovative movie SINCE the exorcist...
i saw this one in the theatre, the only one of this bunch that i have seen in the theatre. and i could barely watch it. you know, eyes half covered looking up at mike gaging his reaction to see it i could look. of course i had no idea those first few moments when the girl's face melts that that was going to happen. i had never seen anything like that before...not since the famous crab walk had an image frightened me so much. this is when i decided that this movie was best watched through my fingers. but besides the melting faces... there was the waterlogged samara crawling in a crazy crab walk fashion out of the tv and well....and that goddamn horse scene!! not to mention the music, if you could call it that. i couldn't get the "music" for this movie out of my head. it became my own personal hellish soundtrack. now, no longer an impressionable eleven year old girl but a grown ass woman i wasn't nearly as traumatized as i was way back in '71, but i was pretty fucked up for a few days.
so...i have yet to be as scared from a movie as i was from these. but then there's this....

has anyone seen? there is a lot of hype here which concerns me. kind of like the blair suck project? remember that? that movie just made me mad. maybe had i seen it long before the rest of the world started hyping it up i might have been sucked in..but i wasn't. i am going to see it this saturday so we'll see. i'll let you know. here's a preview.. (for some reason you have scroll way down)









































so what about you? what movies scared the bejesus out of you??

32 comments:

nkp said...

"The Amityville Horror" is my Exorcist...don't
know why my parents let me watch that shit, but its stayed with me for years! Booooo! Then there are the other classics...Children of the Corn, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th. Just can't watch that stuff anymore. My last foray into this genre was The Grudge. I realized I was too old for this stuff...all I think about are the poor children! You are far braver than I. :0)

I'm A. said...

First 20 minutes of 28 Weeks Later is scary as shit. I saw that a few years ago and still haven't recovered.

I completely agree with you on Wolf Creek. That movie is just not ok. Just thinking about it now makes me a little ill.

The Southern Lady said...

Ooooh, good choices-and terrifying. As a Catholic girl, I was scared to death after The Exorcist. I was convinced if I didn't pray enough or forgot church, I was going to be possessed.

I suppose that was one way to get people back to church, though. Right?

Other scary movies that always seem to pop up this time of year (which I saw when I really shouldn't have) are Nightmare on Elm Street (just the original, the others aren't all that and a bag of chips), Firday the 13th, and Poltergeist.

I think the most recent films I've seen in that genre would be Dawn of the Dead (I don't like running zombies, thank you), The Grudge, and The Gravedancers (great concept, rather cheezy in its execution).

Otherwise I wait for the edited for television Halloween. These days that's about as intense as I get into it. Or Sleepy Hallow.

The Townhouselady said...

I can't watch any of these. Horror movies are too much for my constitution.

Petunia Face said...

The Changeling is my end all be all of scaredom--psychologically fucked up is what it is. And I LOVE it.

And if it weren't for the Exorcist I wouldn't have my fave expression, "your mother licks balls in Hell." Thank you Regan, for that.

*PrairieGirl* said...

that little girl crawling out of the tv in "the ring" still gives me the creeps. i saw it in the theater, too, and it was so much fun! a whole theater full of people watching through their fingers =)

i thought "the others" was fantastic, too. it's not really "halloween" or "the exorcist" but i loved it...maybe that's just more my speed.

and yes, blair witch was totally overhyped, but that last scene, with the person in the corner...augh! i love it...still gives me chills.

SGM said...

The Shining.

Scares me just to THINK about it.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Exorcist. Definitely. Won't watch it EVER again. I'm one of those weirdos who really gets freaked out by scary/gory/religion combos. BUT THEN there was The Ring (wondered if you'd cover it) - that movie freaked my ass out for weeks - all the things you mention, but especially the video itself - I mean, what kind of freakazoid mind thinks of something that bizarre, grotesque, WARPED. The horse shit, that was WARPED!!!
Sheesh...need a drink just thinking about it - oh yeah, can't drink. Dammit.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Oh yeah...forgot about Children of the Corn - talk about stick-in-your-brain music! And anytime I hear of someone named Isaac, reminds me...feel kinda bad, too, one of my friend's son is named Isaac. Weird.

LindsB said...

um, this post just scared the everlivingfuck out of me! I HATE scary movies, hate hate hate!! My boyfriend says I live in my little happy world where nothing ever goes wrong and I love it. Its true though, I will hide under my bed with a bat and a knife if I watch a scary movie, so I just dont do it.

By scary I mean: anything where a person or animal is tortured- just the thought right now makes me want to pee my pants. Anything that could be real, like raping, kidnapping, etc.

I cant think of anything else, but basically anything other than rainbows and butterflies I dont do.

Kelly said...

Paranormal Activity was not scary, but definitely suspenseful. You have to rent High Tension if you don't mind subtitles. Pretty fucking scary. The scariest movie I have ever seen is Funny Games. Ugh. I will never invite a stranger into my home again.

my favorite and my best said...

im A- YES! 28 days(weeks?) later is pretty scary. for that matter that will smith knock off was kinda scary too.

petunia face- the changeling with angelina jolie? was it the lips?
no no...i know which changeling you are referring to. yes, fucked up that one. easily could go on my list. and i believe it was "your mother sucks cocks in hell", same diff.

prairie girl- LOVED the others. one of my all time fave scary movies. but it didn't torment me.

yes MLHP- the ring...not right.

linds- i have a friend like that. totally knows her limits when it comes to that type of thing. for me, i am that person standing in front of the roller coaster TERRIFIED but absolutely refuse to let it get the best of me. i have to challenge it to a duel. same with the scary movie. i am a little freakish this way.

kelly- reaaaally??! well. the duel will go down this saturday. i can believe it though. it all depends on what you consider scary. i guess.

Paisley said...

I also watched the Exorcist at the tender age of 11 and it is still on the top of my "scared the crap out of me" list. I saw The Ring in theaters on Halloween night no less and it was freaky. Then I went home and was locked out of my house and had to wait outside at 1am in the dark for my keys to show up, not fun! Good luck with Paranormal Activity, it's pretty good but not really in a scarred-for-life way.

urbansardines said...

I blame "Jaws" on my deep and abiding terror of sharks. Every time I swim in the ocean I have a hard time not hyperventilating. Last year, I fell in love with snorkeling, but also felt terrified the entire time. Thanks, Jaws!

pillow mint said...

Hands down scariest - the Exorcist. I don't think I slept well for a year after seeing that.
I don't know if you'd want to see a scary movie with me -- I'm a screamer. Like blood-curdling scream. I can't help it.

Rachel said...

When I was little, "Poltergeist" pretty much scared me silly!!! That snow on the TV??? Yeah, evertime that happened at home, I got a little nervous....

But since then, I have to admit, typical "scary" movies don't really scare me. I don't really like blood and gore, and I can usually figure out the plots. Plus, it just pisses me off when everyone dies!
Also, for some reason, I guess I don't buy into all of it??

You know what the one movie that gave me nightmares was?? You're totally going to laugh - but it was the first "Jurassic Park". No kidding. I didn't realize that it would be "scary", and as a 17 year old, I was TERRIFIED by those dinosaurs I tell you! They were so REAL.
You can laugh now.

And I will also agree that Paranormal Activity wasn't as scary as I thought it would (or could) be. It has some pretty scary moments in it for sure, but I was all hyped up to be scared.... and I wasn't so much. Maybe I was expecting it??
Also, the camera does get a little "jerky" at times which really bothers me.
It's worth seeing, but I don't know that it'll really mess with you too much.

meohmyoh said...

It takes a lot to scare me. For that reason I def. want to see Paranormal because I keep hearing REALLY good things about it.
That being said, I have also seen the comparisons to BWP and I thought that was a crock of shit.
Sorry - The Ring was laughable to me too. If you liked that though you'd probably like The Grudge as well.
The only thing that really "gets me" is gore, and I can't hardly stand to watch that. It's not even pleasurable.

OH! A movie I was scared in - White Noise. It was years ago but I remember being quite frightened! Oh another! Joy Ride! Hey Candycane...

sketch42 said...

The last scary movie I have seen is the ring and that is because it scared the crap out of my so much that I could never see another one. How bout this, even the damn trailers scare me and I have to fast forward them. I cant even watch the fast forward. Uch.

Another thing I dont do: Sad movies. No Marley & Me, no Boy in striped Pajamas, No Notebook.

I feel like life is pretty tragic enough as it is, and I cant risk seeing a dog die and crying for a week. I hate shit like that.

Nicole said...

First of all I absolutely adore horror movies. I almost never get grossed out to the point of wanting it to be over. I revel in that shit. The scarier the better, the cruder the better, the gorier the better. That being said, Wolf Creek is the only movie I have ever walked out of in theatres. My best friend who is a guy made me go see it. I thought it looked like crap and would be a waste of time and money. Instead I was just too disturbed. When that crazy guy proclaimed "I'm gunna cut ya tits off!" My friend pulled me up out of my seat walked me out and just kept saying, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry I made you see that!" I don't know why it got to me so bad, I have watched plenty of movies with rape and abuse and barely cringed (Gosh, that makes me sound like and awful person.) but for some reason I just couldn't take this movies.

Love house of 1000 corpses and the Devil's Rejects thought. Go figure.

DCM said...

Carrie with Sissy Spacek - creepy and the hand at the end...oh my!

Silence of the Lambs - psychologically mindfucking...

And has anyone ever read "The Boogeyman" - a short story by Stephen King? Very disturbing to a 10 year old!

ticklishfromadistance said...

The Shining. Makes the hair on my arms stand up typing it.

the NEO-traditionalist said...

I'm such a wuss I had trouble even reading this post. And then I watched your Paranormal trailer and now, I probably won't sleep for weeks. Needless to say someone could use some toughening up...
XX Kate

LindsB said...

Now roller coasters, those are another story. love those! anytime, anywhere :)

Tiina of LiviaConcept said...

haha i needed to read this again since last night when i was sitting in a train and amusing myself by reading this on my chic iphone i quite frankly scared away half of the people sitting there and minding their own busines. in sweden, it is almost as horrible to laugh in public (alone) these movies are. but then again, i'm not swedish

Adrianne said...

for me, anything post-apocalyptic scares the shit out of me. recently movies of this nature i hated were war of the worlds, i am legend a few others not coming to me since i've repressed the memories - not typical scary movies in the horror sense - but ones i will never ever watch again or any other variation of the theme. also - requiem for a dream psychologically raped me. it sucked.

my favorite and my best said...

adrianne yes!!! requiem for a dream raped me too. horribly disturbing.

{better than candy} said...

i love wolf creek.. i have a thing for creepy, disturbing movies. i actually have an old post under "movies" of a lot of my favorite scary movies and that ones on the list!

what did you think of paranormal activity.. we saw this too.

busyatworkathome said...

You are talented, funny AND you love scary movies!? I wish I'd known of you when I lived in Atlanta. I would have stalked you until you were one of my best friends. I love all genres of scary movies: blood and guts, psychological, other worldly... The scarier the better, but you name it, I'll see it.

P.S. Requiem for a Dream is a masterpiece. It's just not for everyone.
P.P.S. I wouldn't have stalked you in a scary way...unless that would be better for you in this imaginary friendship.

BeautyNinja said...

This is way after the fact, but I loved this post and had to add my two cents.

I think it's Friday the 13th where Johnny Dep gets sucked into his bed and then blood and chunks gets sprayed out like a reverse-cyclone onto the ceiling? yeah, that's still with me, fucking me up.

Also, this was supposed to be a "comedy" or a horror-comedy I guess but I watched it laaaate one night by myself at my dad's house and it scarred me for MANY MANY YEARS: Heathers.

The idea of all those highschool kids killing each other and making it look like suicides... I'd never even thought of suicides before (I was what... 11?) and after that the whole idea tormented me. And then when Christian Slater blew himself up at the end? OMFG, I'm going to stop remembering that now. barf.

Maureen said...

Watched Helter Skelter in 8th grade and those bald girls creeped me out for years-mostly because it really happened, wasn't just a movie! Funny you mentioned The Ring- a friend from grammar school posted photos from back then (which really annoyed me) but I swear, I look like the girl who climbed out of the well in that movie! Why didn't my mom brush my frickin hair???

cut2clothe said...

yes, wolf creek scared the shyt out me too. I husband and I rented that awhile back and let's just say, it's one of those movies that'll invade your vision with an impromtu trailer everytime you see a rest stop and cross the dessert and see that you need refueling. Sooo creepy.

Alexandra Rae said...

Okay, LindsB, whoever you are, you and I could be friends forever. I, too, love roller coasters. But I HATE horror movies. Even skimming this post as fast as I could scared the crap out of me. I kept asking myself: Why the hell am I such a fraidy cat? I've only actually watched ONE horror movie beginning to end; the one with the dude in the hockey mask. I was 12 and wanted to be next to my older brother's super hot friend. I remember I was so scared the BACKS of my knees were dripping with sweat. Can't believe I'm semi-normal after hours of that crazy mix of terror and passion. Though sometimes I make my husband wear a hockey mask. Is that weird?

This post so scared me so badly I'm making my 5 and 10 yr-old daughters come in and play Barbies by me.